Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Whoo-Hoo!!

Well, it's over, and thank God we got the result we were hoping for. And not by a small margin, either! Americans came through and voted for change, and although I understand that Obama has his work cut out for him, and that the real work starts now, I'm looking forward to seeing how the next four years pan out.


Joe stayed up for the entire election process. I tried, but kept drifting off to sleep. Joe kept waking me up to give me more results, and I'd start watching again, that drift off again. But I was glad he kept updating me. It was such a great night.

Also, I'm VERY happy to say that Prop 2 passed in California! This is a very important issue for me and I'm so glad to see that Californians realized the need for a higher quality of life for farm animals. Thank you Pam (my cousin in California) for helping me spread the word. :-) I hope California's decision resonates with the rest of the world and we as a nation can start treating our fellow creatures more humanely.


Unfortunately, the other Proposition in California that we were watching closely - Prop 8 - did not go our way. Californians took away the rights of same-sex couples to marry last night. This is a hot button issue for Joe especially (he has many gay and lesbian friends and cares about this issue deeply) and we were both infuriated when it passed.


What is the difference between different-sex and same-sex couples?? When are we going to realize that this is the same issue we had with woman's rights and African American rights? We're all just people and we should all be entitled to the same rights!!

Sigh....

No comments: